Friday, February 6, 2009

U-blog 2

I came across an article at computerworld.com about the issue of there not being enough qualified IT workers available in the market. The author discusses how he believes it is ridiculous that when money is tight for companies, it’s too often that IT's training budget is the first to be cut. He comments on how training has been treated as a benefit, something to be lavished on those who have time rather than a method for a team or the corporate culture. Today with economic and financial troubles the large training budgets are gone, and therefore are the days of training your own employees. I hope by the time I graduate the economy will be stable again and more companies will pay for employee training because I would hate to have to pay for my certifications out of pocket after I just spent 75,000 on my bachelors lol.......but not funny.

5 comments:

  1. That is an interesting subject. Even in the current economic situation we are in, I would have never guessed that the IT training budget is one of the first to be cut. Now more than ever, technology backs a company and training your employees is highly beneficial and important to your business. I agree completely on the issue of having to pay for certifications out of pocket after the years we have spent paying for our degree....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jab, I think thats an interesting article. I am in the military in the IT field. We have always been short handed. I think that this is a field where you can never have enough trained people. I think in the future, companies will do more in house IT training as oppose to outsourcing their training, and this is where your degree and mines (TSTM) will become a valuble much need experience. And about your $75,000 debt, the military will pay that of for you with pay for 3 years of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much agree with you. That is very interesting. I would think that IT and the technology would be one of the last people to cut training. I sure hope it changes soon also. Certification fees for the rest of our career should be taken care of out of all this tuition we paying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy Poswal

    That was an article i've seen before as well. It is funny how companies cut out aspects of their business that can benefit them in the long run. I also hope that the economic trouble we are in does get better for all of our sakes. But atleast we do have some peace of mind that IT professionals will always be needed as the growth of technology continues. We can look at it as motivation to better our skills so that we can solidify our future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting article, Jabari. Please share the URL too! Dr. Keane

    ReplyDelete